Sunday, February 5, 2012

Spaghetti Squash + Kale + Bacon - a quick, healthy and tasty recipe

I'm really hoping to blog more recipes and include photos of my food. I really do love food, and photography, and eating. So food/recipe blogging is an awesome combination of some of my favorite things! Since I'm not really a recipe person (I don't do well following OR writing them), my "recipes" are more like flexible and forgiving guidelines than anything.

One of the main ways I make meals is to combine what I have into one bowl. I've made this combination of spaghetti squash, kale and bacon several times. It's even husband-approved (though I suspect that owes more to the bacon than anything). When I make it for two and don't need leftovers, I use half of what's called for here...so I guess this would be about 4 adult servings. Adjust the amounts, of course, based on how many you're feeding, etc.

you'll need just a few things:
  • 2/3 bunch dinosaur kale (the curly kind works too but I prefer the flat kind here)*
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • 1/2 pound bacon, chopped small (we get pastured bacon from Robinette Farms!)
  • chopped garlic if you're feeling fancy
  • salt and pepper
First, cook the squash. It's easiest to use the microwave. Heat the whole thing for one minute to soften it, then cut lengthwise and put each half (cut side down) in a glass pan with a little water in the bottom. Microwave for about 12 minutes. Easy-peasy! (My microwave is only big enough for one half at a time, so I have to do it twice.)

While the squash is cooking, chop your bacon and get it frying it in a large skillet. Chop the kale into smallish pieces and set aside.

Once your squash is cooked, scrape out the "noodles" and put them right in individual serving bowls. 

Your bacon should be about ready, and most of the fat should be rendered into liquid. (Don't drain it - that's some tasty and healthy saturated fat there!) When it's done cooking, take the pan off the heat and add the kale into the pan. (If you chopped garlic, toss it in there at this point too.) Stir the kale quickly, just till it gets bright and soft. Don't overcook the poor kale.

Spoon the kale/bacon combination over the waiting squash. Then be really generous with the salt and pepper over the top. (I'm sure a few shavings of parmesan would be a pretty spectacular addition!) That's it!



*Here's a tip for storing cut kale, chard, romaine lettuce, or any other stemmed green: When you get it home, cut the ends off and put it into a pitcher/glass of water, just like you would cut flowers. Keep your "arrangement" in the fridge. The greens will soak up the water and be SUPER crispy and last a very long time. I also rescue "tired" (and often heavily discounted) lettuces and greens from the store and easily revive them in this manner. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I think I will try this very soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete